WASHINGTON, D.C. – As expected Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) announced on the floor of the U.S. Senate plans to resign from congress in the coming weeks after a series of sexual misconduct allegations, to some of which he has admitted guilt.
Franken said he will remain a voice for progressive values, and he will be fine because he has a loving family. He stopped short of saying, ‘…and gosh darn it, people like me.”
From USA Today:
“Many of the allegations predate Franken’s Senate career, but the former comedian and Saturday Night Live cast member had already apologized and said he would “gladly cooperate” with a Senate Ethics Committee investigation of his behavior.
TV host Leeann Tweeden made the first allegations against Franken last month, and Franken’s Democratic colleagues appeared to accept his apology and endorsement of the ethics probe. But as additional allegations emerged, Franken’s support became tenuous, and on Wednesday dozens of Democratic senators — led by Democratic women — called for him to resign.
Franken will become the second member of Congress to announce his resignation this week due to sexual harassment allegations. Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., first elected to the House in 1964, stepped down Tuesday after several women accused him of harassment. Conyers has denied any misbehavior and said he was being denied due process.”
Get ready for the torrent of calls from Democrats for U.S. Senate candidate Judge Roy Moore to drop out, despite the fact that Moore has denied allegations adamantly.