In an op-ed with Congressman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), North Carolina Congressman Mark Meadows, the Chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, sent a loud and clear message to the Republican establishment: the time for excuses is over.
Highlighting a hypothetical, but entirely realistic, scenario in which a “second shift worker” and a “second grade teacher” notice the same guy “sitting on the front porch, drinking a cup of coffee and reading the paper” while living off their tax dollars, the Congressmen perfectly illustrate the feelings the majority of the American people who voted Republican in November have felt for years.
“On Election Day, millions of “second shift workers” and “second grade teachers” said “enough!” Everyday Americans said it’s time Washington started working for them.”
According to Meadows and Jordan, these hard working Americans’ message to their government was simple; “…you work for us. Keep the promises you made. Stand up for the rule of law. And put the needs of ordinary folks ahead of the connected-class in Washington.”
Trending: Secular Democrats of America: Congressional Members of Radical Anti-Religion Caucus Write Letter to Biden Urging New Administration to Purge Government of ‘Religious Right,’ Eliminate Religious Exemptions in Law, Close Churches
“Republicans have an incredible opportunity in front of them, but also a tremendous responsibility. Our task is simple: do what the voters sent us to do,” the Congressmen continued.
The two conservatives went on to outline numerous action items they believe should be undertaken by the Republican majorities in the House and Senate in collaboration with the incoming Trump administration:
- Repeal ObamaCare in its entirety and replace it with a market-based solution that drives down costs and allows consumer choice. And don’t take three years to do it.
- Secure our border. We are a nation of laws and we must end the free flow of illegal immigration into the United States. Congress must also immediately deport criminal illegal immigrants and cut funding to sanctuary cities and sanctuary campuses.
- Put in place an immediate halt on refugees from terrorist hotspots until we are able to reform our vetting system to ensure no threat is posed to the homeland.
- Provide our military the support and direction it needs from Congress to ensure we are prepared for threats both abroad and domestically.
- Implement welfare reform that helps the truly needy but requires able-bodied adults to work.
- Pass tax reform legislation that simplifies the tax code, incentivizes businesses to operate in the U.S. and eases the burden on working families.
- Lift job-killing regulations put in place under the Obama administration. Congressman Meadows compiled a report of more than 200 harmful regulations that the new Administration can overturn on day one.
- Stand up for religious liberty and protect the sanctity of life. Congress should defund Planned Parenthood and pass the First Amendment Defense Act, which protects religious liberty.
- Reaffirm our commitment to our allies abroad, especially to our great ally Israel.
- Remember, there is a $20 trillion debt that must be addressed.
There’s little doubt the American people, specifically Republicans, will agree wholeheartedly with Jordan and Meadows’ entire op-ed.